Thursday, April 10, 2014

Trunk restoration (part 1)



August 13th 2009
A previous owner removed the original grey trunk liner material and installed a home-made kit that's the same colour as the interior. I didn't like it... it fit poorly and there were a lot of rusty stains. There were also three types of sound proofing material glued everywhere. This looked even worse and I suspected it of trapping moisture. Knowing that sixties trunk spaces in general aren't ventilated - and that sixties Continentals trunk spaces and lids are known for rust issues in particular - I decided to pull everything and see what I find....

With the pieces of carpet removed it looked like this. The only rust was surface rust on the bottom piece of sheet. Hooray for me! I've seen photos of cars that were much worse off. I felt a bit guilty while removing the strips of tar that I suppose were factory original, but I wanted to know in what condition the steel was and all but one tar strip pulled off with no effort. By the way, the yellow stuff is dried up glue. Then the putty knives and hand-held sander came out. I did not remove the seam filler. About a pound of Californian dust and sand came out.




After everything was clean and degreased, I used a rust converter on the bottom halve of the trunk space. It's called Brunox and has a very, very nasty smell. But it's a good product. After it has dried it doubles a primer for paint. I'm going to cover this area with paint from a spray can. I'm also going to spray Caprotech RX5 and RX7 into the hollow spaces above the wheel well and into that space below the rear wind shield.

When I bought my '64 in early 2006 the jack assembly was missing from the trunk. Last year I bought one from a forum member. As I am incapable of putting rusty parts in or on my car I repainted the jack assembly this weekend. 

 


I bought a 'trunk kit from Jim Wallace/Leather Restoration. The kit looks good. It is nicely finished. You need to reuse your spare tire flap.



 

 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment